When I have a thousand thoughts running through my head and feel like I need to clarify things, I get on the mat. I can’t check Twitter, listen to my iPod, or text. When practicing yoga, I immediately feel the energy. The best part is when I finish with a great yoga session, I am so focused. Even if I get up early, like 7 a.m. early, I feel motivated to check that task off my list – finishing up homework, sending an email, or cleaning my room!
- It helps clean blood of waste material
- Loosens muscles and joints that are ignored in our day-to-day lives
- Morning practices gets your blood flowing
- Rid us of the new stresses we will face every day
- Allows us to easily focus our minds on specific parts of our bodies
- Helps with the flow of your breaths
I realized how much I actually enjoy yoga, so I decided to explore some options — which led me to take a class at Marymount. My instructor taught us basic poses, and a great sequence that I still remember today! It’s still my usual morning sequence, but I add some new poses that I’ve learned from other classes, online videos, etc. Marymount also offers yoga classes (not for credit) during different days of the week and at different times to help accommodate people’s schedules! Classes begin on January 28, 2013.
- Monday – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday – 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
After becoming comfortable with most of the poses, and even perfecting some (like Downward Facing Dog), I wanted to try something new. That’s when I found out about Bikram. Basically, you’re in a room that’s 105 degrees with a good amount of humidity. Some may think this would be too much to handle, but it’s actually pretty relaxing and helps with flexibility! The class is 90-minutes long with a series of 26 poses – my favorite being Standing Bow Pose. In the studio I go to, Bikram Yoga Arlington, the class ends with Savasana (Relaxation Pose) and the instructor hands us a cold, minty towel. SO RELAXING!
Here are some benefits of Bikram (in addition to some benefits of regular yoga practices):
- Provides a total body workout
- Helps sport (and other) injuries
- Improves posture
- Eases back pain
- Increases flexibility and strength
- Boosts energy levels
My last bit of yoga ramble for the day? YOU NEED TO GET YOGI TEA and a cute yoga bag from Lululemon 😉